The Office of Graduate Studies would like to announce the recent update of the Academic Personnel Manual Appendix IIB, Appointment of Graduate Students to Academic Positions - http://manuals.ucdavis.edu/apm/II-B.htm.
Highlighted below are some of the changes made.
* Removal of postdoctoral scholar and visiting postdoctoral scholar appointments from this policy. It is now located in APM-390 and covered by the PX bargaining agreement.
* Updated eligibility requirements for student academic appointments, including those students in course-work-only, filing fee, PELP, and In-Absentia status, as well as students in professional schools, self-supporting programs, intercampus exchange and education abroad programs, and non-students and undergraduates.
* Clarification on standard dates of appointment, percentage of appointment, and limits on the quarters of employment.
* Clarification of vacation and sick leave benefits.
* Addition of a requirement to provide an appointment letter to GSRs (sample included), and removal of outdated appointment processes for all graduate student employment appointments.
* Replacement of the title 'Research Assistant' with 'Graduate Student Researcher' and clarification of duties and steps associated with GSR appointments.
* Addition of a requirement for minimum compensation for GSR appointments.
* Addition of layoff, reduction in time, emergency layoff, and notice period requirements for GSRs.
* Addition of the term 'tuition' in addition to fees.
* Correction of all links to contracts and UCOP policies.