BAE Recruitment Seminar: Saleh Taghvaeian, Mon., Aug. 24, 9am

Saleh Taghvaeian, Ph.D. 
Extension Specialist in Water Resources Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering Department Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK 

Monday, August 24th, 2015 9:00 a.m. 
1007 Ghausi Hall

"Toward a Sustainable Management of Agricultural Water Resources" 

Abstract: Irrigated agriculture occupies only 16% of the worldwide arable area, but is responsible for 44% of total agricultural production. The rapidly increasing world population will reach about 10 billion by 2050, requiring about 60% increase in crop production. At a time when the frequency and intensity of extreme weather events and the competition over agricultural water resources are also on the rise, the challenge for irrigated agriculture is how to improve water productivity to meet increasing demand while adapting to a changing climate and minimizing adverse environmental impacts on downstream land and water resources. In this seminar, Dr. Taghvaeian will provide a brief overview of several projects that he has conducted in the past to foster a sustainable management of agricultural water resources. These projects range from reuse of reclaimed water for irrigation purposes to investigating deficit irrigation regimes and utilizing advanced technologies such as environmental instrumentation and remote sensing. Case studies will be presented from projects conducted in California, Utah, Colorado, and Oklahoma. 

Bio: Saleh Taghvaeian received his Ph.D. in Irrigation Engineering from Utah State University. He holds a MS and BS in Irrigation Engineering from Ferdowsi University in Mashhad, Iran. 

Coffee will be served