Open date: September 13th, 2021
Next review date: Monday, Oct 4, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: Wednesday, Oct 13, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
This position of Junior Specialist has a narrow focus in a specialized area and provides technical or specialized expertise (e.g., with instrumentation and research equipment, or with research methods) in the planning and execution of a research project. Junior Specialists are required to be actively and significantly involved in publishable research activities, including reviewing journal articles and engaging in discussions on research and the interpretation of research results. Junior Specialists are also expected to participate in appropriate professional/technical societies or groups and other educational and research organizations as well as review research proposals, journal manuscripts, and publications as applicable related to their research area of expertise.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DESIGNATED AREAS OF EXPERTISE
I. RESEARCH IN SPECIALIZED AREAS (90% EFFORT)
1) Work under the direction of the Principal Investigator on research projects. Specific project focus for this position includes, but not limited to, excellent knowledge of milk and plant carbohydrates (oligosaccharides) composition as well as food processing techniques such as purification of oligosaccharides including SPE methods like C18, PGC, HLB, PVPP as well membrane filtration (microfiltration, ultrafiltration, nanofiltration) and desalination. The Junior Specialist is expected to stay apprised of emerging issues and problems and maintain technical competence in the in the designated area(s) of specialization and will also serve as a research coordinator for oligosaccharide isolation projects conducted by PIs in the department, data management and preparation of reports tailored to meet the needs of the requesting individual(s).
2) Assists with budget management of grants and supplies acquisition for the lab
3) Evaluation of performance in research activities is subject to the applicable individual project in specialized areas, as documented by any of the following:
- Publications on which the Specialist is an author or made significant and meaningful contribution to the work.
- Other evidence (e.g., letters from collaborators or principal investigators) that work done by the Specialist contributed to publishable research.
- Active dissemination of information (beyond the boundaries of the campus) through informal instruction, presentations, or other means stemming from the Specialist's research accomplishments.
II. PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCE AND ACTIVITY (8% EFFORT)
• Participate in appropriate professional/technical societies or groups and other educational and research organizations, such as the Institute of Food Technologists and American Chemical Society to learn more about the newest advances in food analysis and to attend meetings and workshops to gain additional expertise in these areas.
• Review research proposals, journal manuscripts, and publications related to area of expertise.
III. UNIVERSITY AND PUBLIC SERVICE (2% EFFORT)
• May maintain liaison and respond to the needs of various industry organizations, state and federal agencies, and other external groups on issues related to area of expertise.
• Participate in activities of committee related to the research work. Within the defined areas of milk processing and when appropriate, the Junior Specialist is expected to provide leadership, develop and offer workshops and training seminars, facilitate teamwork and develop collaborative relationships with colleagues and to supply input into the planning of research and educational programs.
Junior Specialist is an entry level position and per APM UCD 330, in general, it is inappropriate to appoint an individual with a Master’s or doctoral degree in the relevant discipline or a baccalaureate degree plus three or more years of experience with the specialized methods as a Junior Specialist.
Basic qualifications (required at time of application)
Bachelor in Food Science
Bachelor's degree in Food Science or related field (degree must be awarded at start of job)
Additional qualifications (required at time of start)
- Demonstrated experience with maintaining and updating the lab chemical inventory and sharing samples among various users and labs.
- Knowledge of various approaches of statistical analysis
- Flexible to changing demands of research tasks.
Prior experience interacting with industry in the area of characterization of bioactive compounds and executing pilot-scale experiments to produce food prototypes.
Demonstrated experience with operation and maintenance of pilot plant equipment, including: freeze-dryer, UHT/HTST Microthermics pilot scale pasteurizer with in-line homogenizer and aseptic packaging units, cream separator and membrane filtration.
Knowledge of desalination techniques and application of the principles of ion-exchange separation.
Strong problem-solving skills and ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects
Knowledge of the AggieBuy and Pre-purchasing systems; implementation of the UC Safety interface and bar-code inventory management system.
Knowledge of operational parameters and optimization strategies for microfiltration, ultrafiltration and nanofiltration as well as desalination are preferred.
Experience with sample purification for Mass Spectrometry including SPE methods like C18, PGC, HLB, PVPP is highly desirable as well as experience training new employee and students on sample preparation for Mass Spectrometry.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Cover Letter (Optional)
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion - Contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion documented in the application file will be used to evaluate applicants. Visit https://academicaffairs.ucdavis.edu/faculty-equity-and-inclusion for guidelines about writing a statement and why one is requested.
- 2-4 required (contact information only)
Apply link: https://recruit.ucdavis.edu/JPF04460
Help contact: firstname.lastname@example.org